Sunday, August 2, 2009

Anniversaries

an⋅ni⋅ver⋅sa⋅ry 
 /ˌænəˈvɜrsəri/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [an-uh-vur-suh-ree] Show IPA noun, plural -ries, adjective
noun
1. the yearly recurrence of the date of a past event: the tenth anniversary of their marriage.
2. the celebration or commemoration of such a date.
3. wedding anniversary
–adjective
4. returning or recurring each year; annual.
5. pertaining to an anniversary: an anniversary gift. Abbreviation: anniv.

Word Origin & History "anniversary"
c.1230, from L. anniversarius "returning annually," from annus "year" (see annual) + versus, pp. of vertere "to turn" (see versus). The adj. came to be used as a noun in Church L. as anniversaria (dies) in ref. to saints' days.

So now that we all know what exactly anniversary means let's discuss. There are many different types of anniversaries, both happy & sad. I never took too much stock in anniversaries. Of course my hubby & I celebrate our anniversary every year, but I never really thought about the true importance of them until recently.
Last night I was lucky enough to get my 3 best girlfriends down to my house for a BBQ. We had such a great time, eating, drinking, laughing, talking, & reminiscing. You know what they say about good food, good friends, good times (somebody says something like that right?!) It is so true with us. We get together & the good times always roll! One of the many things we discussed was anniversaries. My oldest (she's actually the youngest, but I have know her the longest. And she likes to constantly remind me the I am actually the oldest of the group!!) BFF asked us all what we considered our anniversaries our first date with our partner/husbands or when we got married. My hubby & I celebrate both. Our wedding anniversary is 4 days before our fist date anniversary. My other BFF said that they sometimes celebrate both, but know when both were. My third best girl said that her & her partner use the first time they "did the deed" as their anniversary. Oldest BFF then posed the dilemma that her & her current GF are having, they don't have an anniversary. We all looked at them like they had 4 heads & all responded at the same time "how do you guys NOT have an anniversary?!?!?" What, what, What??

That got me thinking about how many anniversaries that I have coming up. A few big ones I don't know how I will get through. Remember a few blogs back how I talked about God & I taking a break.....yeah we're still in that break. Part of the reason for that break is because there is one "anniversary" that I have to relive every week. I was getting me & the kids ready for church when I found Robert dead in his crib. Just the idea of going back to church sends me into a panic. The second Sunday of the month is always the worse. December 14, 2008 was the second Sunday of the month; PJ Day at church.

Another anniversary that is coming way to quickly is what would be Robert's 2nd birthday. I get anxious just at the mention of birthday party. Last year we had a huge party for the kids Bri turned 4, Robert turned 1 & Daddy was home from Iraq to celebrate his 33rd birthday. what a Great day it was. Robert slept through most of the party. How I have no idea. As usual, it was the hottest day in September & I had way too many people crammed into my way too small 3 bedroom rancher. As his Big Sis opened all her gifts, all the kids were screaming & carrying on the way they do at parties, our little Bubby slept through all the excitement. As the last guest left, Bubby woke up. He had missed opening his presents, missed having his little personal Mickey Mouse cake, missed all the fun that is a birthday party. What I didn't realize at the time was we had an even more special 1st birthday than I could ever had planned. We had dinner, just the 5 of us & then we took off Robert's Mickey Mouse Clubhouse tee & gave him his cake. I'll never forget how happy Bubby was to have his cake in our quiet kitchen,long after all the hoopla was over.



Don't even get me started with all the other anniversaries that are coming soon. I try not to think about them. I'm sure you'll read all about it soon enough. Blogging has become my free therapy sessions. So I guess our time is up for this session. See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment